Market Protection and Promotion
The MPO department charged with protecting and promoting the dairy industry is headed by Barbara Bieldt. Barbara holds an honours degree in business economics and has been with the MPO for more than 10 years.
- Communicating the nutritional benefits of dairy products in cooperation with Milk SA
- Government liaison, including with the departments of Health, Basic Education, and Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Information sharing and cooperation with processors and other role players in the industry
- Celebrating World Milk Day
- Optimising School Milk Day activities in partnership with government and processors
- Promoting the establishment of a national School Milk Scheme
AND assist dairy farmers in becoming responsible stewards of product integrity, the environment, animal welfare and social responsibilities by providing information and practical advice through interaction with government and other role players such as WWF-SA, the Dairy Standard Agency and processors.
If you are struggling to register and have your slurry dam authorised or don’t know where to start – contact the MPO!
The MPO deals with regulatory measures such as import tariffs, trade agreements, competition legislation and export certification on behalf of dairy farmers.