MPO Training Institute
The Milk Producers’ Organisation (MPO) Training Institute, an affiliated company of the MPO, focuses on training the farmworkers of commercial farmers, as well as on programmes aimed at achieving transformation objectives for emerging farmers. The MPO Training Institute consists of a dynamic team who are fully committed to the MPO’s strategic vision – sustainable dairy farming. The MPO Training Institute focuses on the people pillar of the MPO’s strategic vision by enhancing the dairy farm workforce’s access to information, and the transfer of knowledge through on-going training, development and mentorship.
What you need to know about our training:
- We are an AgriSeta accredited training provider – PAET 7675, ETQA 694
- Training is held at a location of your choice
- You chose a date that is suitable to you
- We send a facilitator to you
- We work around your schedule/milking times
- We require a minimum of 6 students per training session
- Once completed and assessed competent you get a certificate
- Our instructors have more than 10 years’ experience
Annual Training Programme
The MPO can assist commercial farmers to claim 20% mandatory grants from the levies paid to SARS by administrating a dairy farm’s Annual Training Programme (ATP) for training completed and Workplace Skills Plan (WSP) for planned training in the next year.
Skills Development Programmes
AgriSeta Unit Standard-based accredited skills development programmes are presented on-farm to farmworkers of commercial farmers. The MPO Institute receives AgriSeta funding to present this service to farmers in the dairy, red meat and feedlot industries.
- Milk Production – English | Afrikaans
- Animal Husbandry – English | Afrikaans
- Artificial Insemination – English | Afrikaans
- Socio-Economic Empowerment – English | Afrikaans
- Tractor Maintenance – English | Afrikaans
- Health and Safety – English | Afrikaans
- Feedlot Livestock Handling – English
- Feedlot Unit Controller – English
Dairy Occupational Courses
The dairy occupational curriculum consists of the following three levels, all of which are required for the full qualification, although partial qualifications are also recognised. Courses are scheduled annually per region and can be taken as separate modules, special or partial qualification or full qualification.
VACCINES AND IMMUNISATION OF FARM ANIMALS
This complete guide written by Dr Jan du Preez and Dr Faffa Malan gives a clear breakdown of all the livestock diseases that occur in South Africa, together with indispensable advice on the recognition and treatment of and immunisation against these diseases. The book covers cattle, sheep and goat, equine, pig and poultry diseases. Each section is accompanied by an immunisation programme that refers to a list of vaccines that is also included in the book. The book is well-illustrated and all chapters include full-colour photographs that illustrate the various disease symptoms and bacteria involved. This highly sought-after publication is available from The MPO (Institute for Dairy Technology) in English or Afrikaans.
Students (new and existing dairy enterprise developers) attending the Dairy Production Management course at Orange Grove, Dundee. Dr Chris van Dijk (MPO’s CEO) is presenting Herd Health Management.